How To Help Your Dog If He Ingests Poison
Dogs are pretty curious animals and can get into just about anything. If your dog likes to chew on things he shouldn't or get into things he shouldn't, chances are pretty good that he could end up eating or drinking something that may end up being poisonous. If your dog does ingest something poisonous, you should know what to do and how to help your dog so that he can get the treatment he needs to be back to his healthy, curious self again. Read on for tips that you can use if your dog ingests poison.
Just as with humans, if you are stressed and emotional, the patient will pick up on this behavior, which can worsen the situation. Your dog can have the same problem if you aren't calm and collected. Keep calm yourself to help keep your dog stay calm as well. You also need to keep a clear head so that you can help your dog. Take a deep breath, don't panic, and do what you need to do to help your dog.
Call For Help
Call your veterinarian's office or the emergency veterinarian hospital for help so that you know what needs to be done. Don't attempt to do any type of first aid on your own without the help of a professional. Be sure before you call that you have information to give to the veterinarian such as what was ingested and about how much in addition to any other information you can provide, such as your dog's behavior and any symptoms he is having like vomiting, panting heavily, seizing, or salivating more than normal.
If your veterinarian or the emergency veterinarian wants to see your dog, bring the proper materials with you that can help assist the diagnosis and treatment for your dog. Bring a bag of the vomit so that they have a sample. If your dog has diarrhea, bring a bag of that too. If you have the packaging of whatever your dog ingested, bring the packaging with you.
Preventing Poison Ingestion
To help prevent your dog from getting poisoned you should poison-proof your home. Put up anything that could be poisonous such as household cleaners, pesticides or herbicides, and toxins such as antifreeze. Indoor plants and some food can also be poisonous for your pet, so be sure to keep them away from your dog when you're not around. Keep your dog in a crate if he is just too curious when he's left alone.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested something poisonous, call your veterinarian's office or an emergency pet care hospital for help to get your dog treated.